Table of contents for LifeHacks: Automation
- Automation As Part Of An Integral Life Practice
- iQuickTwitter – My Quicksilver + Twitter + iChat + Growl Hack
- GTD: Automator Wants To Know What You Are Doing Right Now
- GTD: What Are You Doing Right Now Redux
- IM Status: Update Your Skype, iChat, Or Adium Status With Quicksilver
- Automating The Quality Of Your Attention
- Append To Inbox Quicksilver Action
- My New Method Of Automated Journaling
- Update Twitter, Facebook, iChat, Adium, And Skype With Quicksilver
For some people, Quicksilver doesn’t work as advertised. For example, I can’t get the ‘append to…’ action to work as a trigger. And since there’s one file that I’m continually appending, I wanted to customize my workflow. That’s why I created my own Quicksilver append action.
I’ve recently started using TextMate’s GTDAlt bundle for a number of reasons. While I’ve loved using Kinkless, I spend more time in TextMate. Using GTDAlt gives me the opportunity to really master this app. And GTDAlt imports Kinkless files so there’s no downtime. Plus, I’ve never really liked how I had to have OmniOutliner open to send things to my inbox. So while I patiently wait to give OmniFocus a try, I’m going to spend some time romancing TextMate.
This simple AppleScript takes the text I type and appends it to my GTD inbox. It also gives me a Growl notification when my inbox is appended. To use, you only need to change the path to the text file of your choice.
There’s nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
— J.S. Bach