Table of contents for LifeHacks: Automation
- Automation As Part Of An Integral Life Practice
- iQuickTwitter – My Quicksilver + Twitter + iChat + Growl Hack
- GTD: Automator Wants To Know What You Are Doing Right Now
- GTD: What Are You Doing Right Now Redux
- IM Status: Update Your Skype, iChat, Or Adium Status With Quicksilver
- Automating The Quality Of Your Attention
- Append To Inbox Quicksilver Action
- My New Method Of Automated Journaling
- Update Twitter, Facebook, iChat, Adium, And Skype With Quicksilver
I got really tired of updating my online status on Skype and iChat every time I had to step away from my computer. I thought to myself, wouldn’t it be cool if I could update all my instant message apps at once with a few keystrokes using Quicksilver?
Here’s what I cooked up. Call Quicksilver, type “a” (for away), tab, type “im” and hit enter. When you come back, do the same thing but type “o” (for online).
How to install:
- Download the IM Status script, unzip, and put it here:
- Restart Quicksilver.
- Note: If you want to integrate with Adium, open the script in Script Editor and uncomment the Adium tell (remove “–“).
How to use:
- Invoke Quicksilver.
- Enter text mode (hit period) and type either “a” for away or “o” for online.
- Tab to the Action Pane and type “IM Status” (or as much of the word as you need).
Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow.
Update 05-08-07: I made a change to the way I use this script. Since I like to set the status and the message when I come and go, I’ve updated the script to do this. I’m leaving v1.0 alone but you can click here to open IM Status v1.1 in Script Editor.
Update 08-11-07: If you want to update Facebook, see this post: Update Twitter, Facebook, iChat, Adium, And Skype With Quicksilver